Following extensive consultations within the University community, the University of Ghana took the decision to proceed with the adoption of a collegiate system.
The Council of the University subsequently approved the creation of three new colleges in addition to the College of Health Sciences at the University of Ghana and this brought into being the College of Education with effect from 1st August, 2014.
The objectives of the College
The College shall advance the objectives of each of its constituent Units by these specific objectives, to:
- Expose students to best practices in teaching and learning using the latest proven learning technologies and support the utilization of research both to inform teaching and to tackle the broader issues of education;
- Provide an expanded adult, continuing and distance education programme which would extend the reach of the University to student populations in formats which the face- to- face classroom learning cannot provide;
- Improve the understanding and practice of information and communication through effective teaching, learning and research;
- Equip practitioners in communication and information management with state-of-the-art skills and competencies to effectively serve the public; and
- Provide tertiary education of the highest quality to advance Africa’s social, cultural and economic development achievable through the production of graduates, conduct of research and extension services for Africa and the wider international community.